If you’re planning on selling your home, then you might be wondering whether you should just do it yourself. After all, how hard can it be to list your house online? Odds are you think quite highly of your home, which means you expect to sell it quickly. What’s the point of paying a listing agent to do something you can do? The thing is, a listing agent is much more valuable than you might think, and not working with one can be detrimental to the process of selling your house.
What is a Listing Agent?
A listing agent is a real estate agent that represents homeowners who are trying to sell their homes. When you hire a listing agent, they will do the following:
- Prep your home. They will recommend repairs or improvements as well as offer advice on how to stage your home to attract the most buyers. This process will ensure that it sells quickly and at the highest possible price.
- Price your home. Using recent local market data, they will accurately price your home to promote buyer interest.
- List your home. They will create a detailed description coupled with inviting photos to showcase your home.
- Market your home. They will advertise your home in order to attract motivated buyers.
- Show your home. They will hold open houses as well as personal showings to attract buyers.
- Negotiate deals. They will negotiate with the buyer’s agents on your behalf.
- Closing. They will guide you through the closing process.
Difference Between a Listing Agent and a Buyer’s Agent
A listing agent is a real estate agent that represents the homeowner who is selling the house. They help assist and guide the homeowner throughout the selling process, from helping prepare the property for the market and pricing it properly to listing it, advertising it, and finally, selling it. The listing agent represents the seller and the buyer’s agent represents the buyer.
Find a Listing Agent You Can Trust
Once you’ve decided to sell your home, you’ll want to find a listing agent to help you through what is a complicated and often stressful process. The thing is, there are a lot of listing agents out there, which means choosing the right one may seem like a daunting task. Not all listing agents provide the same quality service, after all. The following are a few tips to help you find a listing agent that you can trust:
- Consider how they are paid. Be wary of listing agents that charge an upfront fee. They are less likely to do the required legwork if they’ve already been paid. Most reputable agents work on commission.
- Look for an experienced agent. Not only do you want to work with a listing agent that has experience selling houses, but you want to make sure that they have experience in the area where you live. It means that they understand the local market and have an established network of resources at their fingertips.
- Look for a full-time agent. Part-time agents may not put as much work into selling your home because they don’t have as much time to dedicate to you.
- Ask about their marketing plan. A good listing agent will have a thorough marketing plan that includes advice to stage the house, high-quality photographs, a detailed listing on multiple websites, advertising online and offline, setting up open houses, and more.
- Ask how they determine the pricing. A good agent will compare your property with similar properties that have sold recently within the same area. They will also provide you with a range instead of an exact number, and together you can determine a good asking price to promote buyer interest.
- Consider how engaged they are. When speaking with the listing agent, pay attention to how they communicate with you. Are they actually listening? Are they asking lots of questions? Are they friendly? Do you get along with them? All this is important since you’ll want to have a relationship that’s built on trust and transparency.
- Ask about certifications. Certain certifications and memberships indicate the quality of the listing agent. The more certifications they have, the better.
- Request referrals. A reputable agent should be able to refer past clients to speak on behalf of their quality.
Find Your Listing Agent at Amberwood Real Estate
Here at Amberwood Real Estate, we provide our clients with expert knowledge, valuable experience, a well-defined marketing plan, and a cohesive network to help sell your home quickly. To schedule a personal consultation, contact us today to speak with one of our listing agents.
11060 Artesia Blvd. Suite G | Cerritos, CA 90703 | DRE#: 01834942